Saturday, January 24, 2009

WORKBOOKS FOR THE YOUNGER GRADES

There are times in our homeschooling journey when I feel the need to switch up our routine and give our boys a little boost in a certain area of their study. It is in those times that I try to find inexpensive educational materials that will be both a positive and fun addition to our curriculum.

Recently I found out that Sylvan Learning is launching some Brand New supplemental workbooks that peeked my interest. I found out that they are consumable workbooks that focus on a specific subject. We needed a Reading/Spelling/Vocabulary supplement and they had just what I was looking for, for our 3rd grader, Vinze.

I got the workbook today and was pleasantly shocked to see that IT IS SO THICK! The pages are sturdy and thick also. This is not a flimsy curriculum. There are over 300 full pages in this book. Honestly, This is billed as a supplemental curriculum, but I've paid much more money for a lot less from some suppliers. I believe it could be used as a full curriculum. If Vinze does 2 pages a day that's 150+ days of schooling plus his reading assignments and book reports!



Each lesson is fun, lively and straight to the point. They look like they will be funny, easy to use and allow Vinze to learn using step by step processes while also reviewing learning gaps that have fallen through the cracks.

The third grade "Super Reading Success" workbook that we got today is actually 3 Books In one. It covers Spelling, Vocabulary and Reading Comprehension. The workbooks are based on Sylvan's proven techniques for success. They focus on reading and language arts, and features grade-appropriate activities, stories, and exercises to help students gain confidence and boost their grades.



The neat thing is that it can also be used to prepare for a Skill's Assessment at a Sylvan Learning Center if you want to have a record of your child's progress as the years go by. There is a coupon for $10 off a skills assessment test that can be used at any Sylvan Learning center.

I am going to watch as more and more Sylvan products become available. For $18.99, I do believe these workbooks are the best deal to come along since sliced bread! I'll keep you posted as we use the material.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I love workbooks. I usually scour our local thrift stores and often find wonderful workbooks that have never even been written in for a fraction of the cost.

Unknown said...

Great to hear this. I was searching for blogs that were possibly using sylvan workbooks AS a curriculum. ( we are starting homeschool this coming year) We can't afford the regular curriculum (even discounted ones)

 
ss_blog_claim=6aba2cfecb6178ffdcf024b730e3153a ss_blog_claim=b0b6eb1a2c51f983bd3ae154060f41b2