Friday, November 21, 2008

IF YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK...PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG

UPDATE: The craft below was a flop. It grew but no tomatoes formed. I don't think there is enough nutrients in the small amount of dirt that fills the 2 liter container. Though I did use sticks of Miracle Grow to try to help things along, in the end the nutrients just were not there. Now tomatoes were had by our family this year. I think we'll go ahead and plant a garden next year. That's more fun anyway. :o)

--------------HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POST-------------------------

This week I'm trying a "Shelly Thunk It" Craft. I saw a commercial for a plastic pop up device that allows a person to plant a tomato plant in it so that the plant actually hangs and grows upside down.

Hydroponics? Well, no because I'm using soil but it is upside down.
I looked at the cylindrical tube and thought..."I can do that."
Brian and I went out to grab some plants and dirt from a local nursery. I saw this hanging do-dad up in their store. I thought that a 2 liter Mt. Dew bottle may actually fit in that upside down. So, I bought the thing. On our way home Brian and I decided to get some dog fence at good ol' Home Depot. While we were looking around, what should I see but a cute little plant hanging device. I just HAD to have it. That cute little contraption will work wonderfully to hang my Craft idea on. I bought that baby, came home and went to work on my idea.

I grabbed a 2 liter bottle, cut off the end of it and put it in the hanger.
It fell through! CRRAAAP!!

Brian got the brilliant idea to use his jerky sticks to anchor the jug to the hanger. Voila!

After I stuck all 6 sticks through the holes I tried to put the plant in and realized...
"duh..."

So I took the sticks out, put the plant in, put dirt in the jug; filling it 3/4 of the way full.






Then I placed all of the sticks through the hole, making sure to use enough sticks so the weight of a growing tomato plant won't break them and send my masterpiece tumbling to the ground!










Yes, I did indeed place this on our front porch. I think it looks interesting actually. Even if it looked terribly bad, I would still have to put it on our front porch though, or the dogs would have it for lunch and a play toy.
After I finished my project Daxx and Kole insisted on having pictures taken with it to put on "mom's blog." Mom obliged. Here are their poses. :-)







I'll keep the update going. If this one dies, I'll try another. This is going to work!! :-)

---------------------

NOPE! lol Any pointers on what went wrong?

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=6aba2cfecb6178ffdcf024b730e3153a ss_blog_claim=b0b6eb1a2c51f983bd3ae154060f41b2